Year Abroad in Japan

by - January 15, 2019

To fulfill my promise to myself about writing regularly for the blog, here's the story of a year experiencing new life in Japan. 

---

Half of 2017 and 2018 have been the greatest ups and downs of my life so far. At some point, that particular period of my life felt like another bubble which coexist with my 'normal' life but shouldn't be mixed up. There were lots of changes, trials and errors, getting to know new people then separated by distance.
It all started in early 2017 when I received an email from my university about exchange application to Kwansei Gakuin University, Nishinomiya. Though I was supposed to be in my final year that moment, I find it interesting and challenging for me to try and see how far can I go through this kind of competition. Considering that I have more or less connection to Japan after my first trip back in 2016, I feel like moving abroad is something I kinda need to escape the identity crisis I experienced at that moment. The good amount of scholarship that will be sufficient for my living cost also added more good reason to go. After a long consideration and whatnot, I ended up applying for the program and chose to take the full year program (Fall-Spring semester, which is 10 months). Great. I could keep my sanity and focus on building networking while also doing a bit of research for my undergraduate thesis, keep every single opportunity tight.
I submitted all the documents needed and waited for nothing to lose. And I was finally able to pass all the documents screening, motivation letter screening, grades, and face-to-face interview and have to be ready for the further process. I was thrilled, before the actual battle begun. April 2017 was the beginning of all the preparation process so I give it all. At the same time, misfortunate conspiracy happened a month away from my departure, that I was rejected for the scholarship with the current condition that I have paid all the pre-program administration so I couldn't step back. That was the down turn. My impulsive and ambitious decision took all the consequences even to the closest people. I have to survive and take responsibilities for what I decide. Escaping reality is never gonna be the best idea. It was just a bridge to get into another trouble and what's left is the option to hustle. So hustle it is. 

One gorgeous side of the campus
Regular view on my walk to school

Orientation week for exchange students

First month of living in Japan was though. I was filled with anxiety of making new friends and also thinking about how I ended up being a bitch for my impulsive mind. The introvert side of my dominating the whole orientation week, so I only managed to befriended with just a few both at school and at the dorm. My routines was walking to school alone, get into classes and stay silent, sleep in the library or reading once in awhile, then go home and lock myself in my bedroom. That was all for two weeks straight. I went out with some Japanese friends on weekends, the rest was just a boring life. By the end of the orientation period, I was able to make one more friend who ended up become my BFF for the whole year. One suck month saved gracefully. I started to gain confidence to get to know people and was able to engage more in class' discussion. That's when people really remember my name and listen to how am I doing that day. We had group breakfast, did stuff together, took day trips, cooked yummy foods, midnight movie marathon, while also managed to do group works in between. All the fun dorm life that I dreamt for has finally came true. 

Friends from EASE 2015, first people I hang out with in Japan

My circle grew a little bigger with these girls

My very first proper hiking to Mount Rokko

Second month went smoothly, thanks to my new BFF! While also thinking about how to get another scholarship and part-time jobs, I was able to enjoy studying so much compare to when I was home. I even got to choose a topic for my undergraduate thesis about minority group in Japan. Super fun. Decision to seize the day and enjoy every moment of it was helped, again, by the universe that I could experience the whole new study atmosphere with student from all over the world. Most classes was an eye-opening, some because of the actual material, some other because of the fruitful discussion with various perspectives. Not only at school, dinner chit-chat at the dorm was very deep and meaningful. We discussed about literally everything, even the most fundamental issue like transcendental matters. Arguments were common, but everyone of us took it easy and be cool afterwards. My miserable life was somehow getting better and better. Though I hadn't been able to control myself for some things like buying food until the third month, but I kinda get my life together. November was a little bit gloomy because it was my first autumn in my life that my feeling was kinda washed away with all the falling leaves. Homesickness started to hit me somedays, especially with Indonesian food craving. But I freaking love being a first-timer for autumn and survive the coldness. Even for me, the weather  was just perfect to walk around everywhere without sweating. I also got to experience the actual halloween, only I wasn't really in the mood to put on fancy costume like other people.

Halloween Party!
Best Christmas Eve dinner. Ever.
December! Fourth month was jolly and full of festivities. With mostly European and American surrounds me, I could feel the Christmas vibes from the beginning of the month and it was warm. Even though Japanese themselves don't particularly celebrate Christmas, people at my dorm made it feels like the real Christmas. Cakes, wines, secret Santa gifts, and many more. It was also my first time to have a proper Christmas Eve dinner and get together. One of the unforgettable moment of my life. Oh yeah, I almost forget to mention that I did celebrate Christmas in Japanese way, which was by pre-ordering KFC bucket and had it for the night after.

Japanese cooking class for school project

School Field trip to Osaka Museum of Housing and Living
Year changes. Crap! January seems like time was drained so quickly. After the whole festivities, I was bumped with the fact that some people who stayed for one semester started leaving and the dorm got empty. Winter break was coming too so some people went out for couple days. With the limited amount of money that I have, I couldn't get around Japan so much. But luckily after a couple saving months I was able to book a 3-days trip to Kanazawa and Shirakawa-go, one of my favorite destination in Japan! That winter break was the first time I experienced snow after forever and it felt sooo nice. I enjoyed every single part of the plan, forgetting all the coldness through my bones. At the end, winter break wasn't that bad because I could get out for a bit, even got to know my friends even better after the trip.

Our regular nights with regular people
Indonesian food night!
February to April was the winter semester period for all one year exchange students. We got busy with another short courses. Nothing was extraordinary since university felt so empty. However,  some good news appeared during that period to. I was so desperate that I couldn't continue my life in Japan because of cash-issue but cupid sent me love in an extraordinary form. After a long wait, I was able to get information about one scholarship that I might get the chance to accept. While preparing for winter semester, I was busy collecting informations about the scholarship also the requirements. Some people involved in that process were the actual angel who helped me despite the phone and text terrors I gave. So it was basically it.

These people made the trip even better!
How to end the semester right: go clubbing
Long story short, I was finally able to get scholarship for my second semester. It was such a relieve to study without having the burden to think about money. Some new students moved in to the dorm and it got packed again finally. I was able to get to know some new students who then became my other good friend, while also hangout with the same folks from the previous semester. Fall and Spring semester felt so different with so many changes that happened in a short time. The people, the season, dorm, and especially my own state of mind got to experience a whole new level. During the second semester I was able to take some classes which were even more useful for my research. I met some people who then became my source of information. I was also able to catch up visiting places I couldn't visit the semester before. I could see cherry blossoms in real life, even did the picnic as typical Japanese do during Spring. What was even more special, some natural disasters happened couple times during that period. Typhoon, flood, earthquake and heatwaves happened week after week closer to the end of the semester. Hence, I managed to see all the good and bad of life so I should be grateful for everything.

Our favorite Sensei!
Casual drinking night with Mabuchi Sensei (the guy on the right)
Changes and encounters have changed me then. Ten months was not too long, but long enough for me to create a different life pattern than the one I had at home. Special occasions every month were celebrated not in the way I used to do it, but that was a pleasant experience for sure. A lot of people come and go, some I keep in touch with, some acquaintances I keep the networking, the rest was just people I'm grateful to know. Every single experiences and knowledges gave even the littlest perspective and really improve my arguments. It makes me learn how to be less reactive, to think more before I actually say words. Even in the social life among Japanese in the neighborhood, I gained a lot of insights that are useful for my character building. I might be missing another year of university, but I obviously gained way more than what have lost.

My regular running view


Months and months after, I still miss my exchange life. I would say it there was more laughters even if tears drop in between those laughters. I miss living few steps away from my friend, I miss the beautiful library with comfy chair to sleep, I miss having lunch box by the university lawn, I miss late-night shenanigans and train catch-ups, I miss my usual afternoon run by the riverbanks, I miss Timmy the Turtle, I miss all of it. Japan was, is and always be in my heart.

You May Also Like

0 comments